Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, March 24, 2009:
What's your pretty?
Photobucket
Pretty woman
***
My beautiful pal Kati wrote an observant piece on growing older and much of what she talked about, I could relate to. Usually I can take a lot of what I'm personally experiencing with a grain of salt, because really, there's not a whole lot that can be done about the aging process; it'll happen whether we agree to it or not. No one asks for our vote, now do they? And since I have nowhere nearly enough funds for a total body makeover, I'm pretty much stuck with what I got.
And as Kati's posts usually tend to do, this one got me thinking. Maybe it was my PMSing over the weekend, or seeing "Knowing" and the message it was sending, or maybe it's that spring is here but it's really not, not really. Winter hasn't given up its fight for domination, and this kind of weather tends to make me eat excessively and hibernate. The whole gaining of the weight thing Kati was talking about is so true. I feel like Ive gained a whole size just over the winter, and I cannot wait til the temperature cooperates so I can enjoy some outdoor walks. That's such a cop-out, because I could be exercising at any time, like now, and not use the weather - or the internet - as an excuse. And I am in dire need, with an ass that's spreading into the next county. I guess this means I can no longer eat girl scout cookies for my lunch. Damn. Those Lemonades are so addictive.
And then there's work. I like my job, and most days I really, really like it, but the one thing I don't love is the dress code. I've never been a fan of uniforms (sorry, those boys in uniform never did a whole heck of a lot for me. Now give me a guy in a tight pair of jeans...oh sorry, got sidetracked there for a minute). And so the apparel for women is especially unattractive. Jewel collars and polo shirts have never been an attractive look for me, what with the lack of boobage, and they certainly don't project the most professional of images, as far as I'm concerned. I bought better clothes with my own money than what my job currently provides for us. And our extensive color scheme is an never-ending spectrum of black and blue. Navy blue. Gray. Who wouldn't feel a little depressed wearing that all the time? Well maybe not everyone, but for me, yes, especially when I'd rather be wearing red. Or peach. And definitely purple. What is wrong with color???
So I gotta do something during the week to make me feel, well, pretty. My big thing is jewelry. I love silver, and tend to find great inexpensive buys through Avon (particularly handy for someone who tends to lose her jewelry rather often). Stars, hearts, squiggles. Shiny. Oooh, the pretty. Makes me feel like a girl instead of some androgynous being. (Avon alert: now they are coming out with a necklace to complement the bracelet they have to fight violence against women. It's the Empowerment Necklace. $5/each with $4.11 going to the cause. I bought 7 necklaces to share with my female friends. Maybe I'll even give one away as a blog prize). I love the shiny.
Another thing I do to lift my spirits, though not as frequently, is paint my nails girly colors. Right now they are rather long, which means I make a lot of typing mistakes, but they are so pretty, with their vibrant pink nail polish that I have to touch up every other day. But it's so worth it, especially since I do it myself. I'm not a girly girl, but sometimes I like to pretend I am. You gotta make do with what God gave you, and so I do try. It can be much fun *g*
So tell me, how do you bring on the pretty?
What brings out your girl power?

Labels:

10 Comments

  1. I have to laugh at this blog entry. I missed out on the girly gene. I was a total tomboy as a kid and even now as an adult I still have a really, really hard time being feminine. It also doesn't help that I'm 6'1" and built like a linebacker. :P

    That being said, the 2 things I like are having pedicures and getting my toes painted all kinds of crazy colors and purses. I'm a purse junkie. It's very sad. :D


  2. Heh. Another throwback, here. I used to be a full-face-o-makeup girl, but as I get older, I have to choose between eye makeup and contacts, and I hate wearing glasses, so.

    I work in tech with mostly slobby guys, so I'm in jeans, tee-shirt, and sneakers every day which suits me fine. But I bought a hot pink leather calendar-binder thingy from Franklin Quest and I totally love it.


  3. Bridget, I'm not really a girly girl, prefer to wear jeans myself, but I think because it's "forced" on me, I'm rebelling. I don't have the purse gene LOL.

    Nicola, I wear some make-up (it's my security blanket) but not a ton. I'd love to work where I could wear jeans. My dream job. And love the hot pink calendar thingy. I might have to go check those out.


  4. Nails and Toes for me. I love having long nails, and I get my nails done weekly. It's my one BIG indulgence.

    I'm a total girlie girl in that I'm relatively prissy, but I don't do the whole skirts and high heels things. In fact, the more comfortable my shoes, the happier I am.


  5. Enjoyed your post, Stacy. There's something about spring that does bring out thoughts of bright, vibrant clothes, feeling healthier because we're moving around in the sunshine, and yeah...making yourself as pretty as the flowers that are soon to bloom.

    I love to shop with my neices,who are darling girly-girls, take them for a pedicure and tea at the Drake. Thanks for reminding me--I'll have to plan something like that this spring. :)


  6. Hi Stacy! I grew up a tomboy, having two older brothers and now three boys of my own, and I've always played softball. Sometimes it just takes having a good hair day that makes me feel girly. Sometimes nothing works. I do think it helps when we are wearing something that we think makes us look better. Bummer about your job uniform.

    Our weather has been warm and sunny lately so I've pulled out the sandals (not white of course) and I always have my toes painted. Never had much luck with painting my fingernails, they tend to chip off really quickly and I don't have the patience to touch up daily.

    I hope spring visits you real soon!


  7. For me it's shoes. With the right set of heels I can be 5'6" and almost look people in the eye. ;-) That being said, because 3 inch heels (a) are not conducive to chasing after a toddler and (b) look stupid when I'm writing at my computer in jeans and a t-shirt, I don't get to wear them as much as I did in my lawyer days. Sigh... which only makes me feel that more "prettied up" when I do have an excuse to wear them.


  8. Shoes. I love shoes. Especially hooker shoes, they're the best. Definitately. Shoes always fit, I have yet to get too fat for my heels. I must go with shoes. :)


  9. Now give me a guy in a tight pair of jeans...oh sorry, got sidetracked there for a minute).

    You and me both :)

    See, I think I got in the wrong queue somewhere because I'm as far from a girly girl as I can be. I grew up as a tomboy and...well...I don't seem to have lost that. I always feel awkward in dresses/skirts...but that's probably because I feel self-conscious full stop :)

    Autumn is here, so I'm guessing spring can't be too far away for you!


  10. Kati, comfortable shoes are very important. Otherwise I don't feel girlie, or particularly happy LOL.

    Beth, your outings with your nieces sounds like fun. I grew up with 2 younger brothers and we always did "guy" stuff - sports, etc. - so I never got to experience a lot of the girl experiences like that when I was younger.

    Lisa, you always look so pretty & feminine, and very comfortable at the same time. I'm so jealous *g*

    Julie & Erica, I never got into the shoes, unless it's really cute sandals in the summer. But they have to be comfortable.

    Orannia, I grew up a tomboy, and that's how I feel most comfortable, but I can't even wear jeans at work, so that's why I'm feeling the need to be pretty LOL. Eventually spring will get here, I'm hoping. It's chilly and very overcast. But at least we're not in Fargo, ND where they got all the snow/rain and have the need to evacuate. Those people are in my thoughts and prayers.


Post a Comment